Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: GenCon 2021?

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #109

macxdmg wrote:

SageSTL wrote:

bpsymington wrote: Having politicians end mask mandate early and seeing people burning PPE is NOT encouraging.


Yeah, definitely not a good sign. I think many fail to understand that the biggest risk isn't just widespread infection--it's continued spread leading to further mutation.


Or death, death might be the biggest risk. Mutation is important reason to keep it at bay, not the biggest risk.


Fair enough. I was thinking more about societal impact, but no doubt risk of death is a bad thing. That said—even that risk hasn’t convinced many to wear masks or distance.
Team Synergy, 2012-Present
Interested in joining us? Feel free to send a PM!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #110

bpsymington wrote: I liked reading this:

Hospital-Grade Filters: In March of 2020, the Indiana Convention Center installed hospital-grade filtration systems and have been running the system daily. In fact, the center received NAFA's 2020 Clean Air Award for leadership and excellence in air filtration.


A hospital grade system is likely just really good air filters and some UV lights. There already is standards for required outside air requirements. Air changes per hour is going to be the biggest factor on how the system works. Also COVID is not airborne to the best of my understanding, and if that’s true the HVAC filtration system will not address that issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #111

  • bpsymington
  • bpsymington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 10th Level
  • Supporter
  • Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer
  • Posts: 15766

Wayne Rhodes wrote:

bpsymington wrote: I liked reading this:

Hospital-Grade Filters: In March of 2020, the Indiana Convention Center installed hospital-grade filtration systems and have been running the system daily. In fact, the center received NAFA's 2020 Clean Air Award for leadership and excellence in air filtration.


A hospital grade system is likely just really good air filters and some UV lights. There already is standards for required outside air requirements. Air changes per hour is going to be the biggest factor on how the system works. Also COVID is not airborne to the best of my understanding, and if that’s true the HVAC filtration system will not address that issue.


Every little bit helps.
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #112

NightGod wrote: Well, sure, but we're kind of talking about the same thing, since mutation can lead to greater death. All part of the same circle.


But without mutation, how will I get superpowers?

Jeff Martin wrote: All damage is Sacred.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #113

Wayne Rhodes wrote:

bpsymington wrote: I liked reading this:

Hospital-Grade Filters: In March of 2020, the Indiana Convention Center installed hospital-grade filtration systems and have been running the system daily. In fact, the center received NAFA's 2020 Clean Air Award for leadership and excellence in air filtration.


A hospital grade system is likely just really good air filters and some UV lights. There already is standards for required outside air requirements. Air changes per hour is going to be the biggest factor on how the system works. Also COVID is not airborne to the best of my understanding, and if that’s true the HVAC filtration system will not address that issue.


Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but I thought the airborne, aerosol nature of COVID transmission was a major part of the issue and the impetus behind mask mandates. And that was backed by case studies of some spreader events that involved heavy exhalation, such as choir practice, a call center, and an enclosed restaurant where HVAC blew across one table and infected pretty much in a straight line.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #114

Basically COVID is transmitted by fluids like spit and such. The mask keeps the little bit you spit contained. A airborne is floating free in the air and the mask most people are using don’t have fine enough filters for. If I’m wrong then the news I have read has been bad. I understand the HVAC system more than the virus since I work on HVAC for a living.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #115

Wayne Rhodes wrote: Basically COVID is transmitted by fluids like spit and such. The mask keeps the little bit you spit contained. A airborne is floating free in the air and the mask most people are using don’t have fine enough filters for. If I’m wrong then the news I have read has been bad. I understand the HVAC system more than the virus since I work on HVAC for a living.


Ah, I understand now. So, the difference is between a virus that lives free floating in the air itself vs. a virus confined to an aerosolized mist. So, the difference is between filtering water droplets, however small that may be, and filtering actual individual viruses which are significantly smaller.

Thanks for the clarification!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #116

Grizwald wrote:

NightGod wrote: Well, sure, but we're kind of talking about the same thing, since mutation can lead to greater death. All part of the same circle.


But without mutation, how will I get superpowers?


Find a spider and keep wearing masks, all the people with superpowers did it before it was cool, and after.
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
Bard of the College of Sick Beats

Trade thread truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=61&id=253064#406060

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #117

Marc D wrote:

Wayne Rhodes wrote:

bpsymington wrote: I liked reading this:

Hospital-Grade Filters: In March of 2020, the Indiana Convention Center installed hospital-grade filtration systems and have been running the system daily. In fact, the center received NAFA's 2020 Clean Air Award for leadership and excellence in air filtration.


A hospital grade system is likely just really good air filters and some UV lights. There already is standards for required outside air requirements. Air changes per hour is going to be the biggest factor on how the system works. Also COVID is not airborne to the best of my understanding, and if that’s true the HVAC filtration system will not address that issue.


Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but I thought the airborne, aerosol nature of COVID transmission was a major part of the issue and the impetus behind mask mandates. And that was backed by case studies of some spreader events that involved heavy exhalation, such as choir practice, a call center, and an enclosed restaurant where HVAC blew across one table and infected pretty much in a straight line.


There are plenty of studies on enclosed spaces which is why new HVACs don’t stop COVID, except if the only infected person is just breathing into the air intake. If the only infected person is resting at the air intake, Uv lights and enhanced filtration in the HVAC can prevent them from infecting others far away randomly. It enables contact tracing from things like the phone apps since the spread is localized instead of random.

I suppose there might be an HVAC system that included a Marylyn Monroe style system that “breathes up” that might prevent the spread as the air would be going not between people to an air intake but up? Or maybe an entire floor that is an intake?
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
Bard of the College of Sick Beats

Trade thread truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=61&id=253064#406060

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #118

macxdmg wrote:

Marc D wrote:

Wayne Rhodes wrote:

bpsymington wrote: I liked reading this:

Hospital-Grade Filters: In March of 2020, the Indiana Convention Center installed hospital-grade filtration systems and have been running the system daily. In fact, the center received NAFA's 2020 Clean Air Award for leadership and excellence in air filtration.


A hospital grade system is likely just really good air filters and some UV lights. There already is standards for required outside air requirements. Air changes per hour is going to be the biggest factor on how the system works. Also COVID is not airborne to the best of my understanding, and if that’s true the HVAC filtration system will not address that issue.


Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but I thought the airborne, aerosol nature of COVID transmission was a major part of the issue and the impetus behind mask mandates. And that was backed by case studies of some spreader events that involved heavy exhalation, such as choir practice, a call center, and an enclosed restaurant where HVAC blew across one table and infected pretty much in a straight line.


There are plenty of studies on enclosed spaces which is why new HVACs don’t stop COVID, except if the only infected person is just breathing into the air intake. If the only infected person is resting at the air intake, Uv lights and enhanced filtration in the HVAC can prevent them from infecting others far away randomly. It enables contact tracing from things like the phone apps since the spread is localized instead of random.

I suppose there might be an HVAC system that included a Marylyn Monroe style system that “breathes up” that might prevent the spread as the air would be going not between people to an air intake but up? Or maybe an entire floor that is an intake?


UV lights are effective at killing what goes through there path. The nature of COVID moving in droplets seems to me that it probably is isn’t going to be picked up by vents 20 to 60 feet in the air like most ballrooms would have the return air vents. If the return was at ground level like in many home I would feel it would be effective.

My opinion is based on my memory of the main ballroom spaces that they have at the convention center. Typically all convention centers have supply air and return air up close to the ceiling for installation cost savings, and noise control.

All that said I support the system being added, I don’t think it will help with COVID, but it will help with general con crud.

Edit: I think the best way to explain my thoughts on Covid is I’m thinking it acts like fog from a fog machine, denser than air so it should stay closer to ground level (2 to 10 foot off the ground being agitated by people walking through the area).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wayne Rhodes.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #119

Official announcement for Gen Con 2021: www.gencon.com/press/2021-postponement-new-format
Casey's Emporium of Gooey Delights Token Store:

truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=253865

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 2021? 1 year 6 months ago #120

Reduced ticket sales, required social distancing. Unfortunately that pretty much kills TD in person for this year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds