Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Golden Ticket Suggestion

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #1

  • Fred K
  • Fred K's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Posts: 3196
With 100 GT’s available this year, it would be cool to help spread out who wins them a bit more. Historically (at least recent history), the vast majority of GTs were found in 8K orders. Those should still have a good number of them but we rarely seem to run into newer players winning them.

With all the auctions, that is further centralizing who is getting the GTs - meaning it is a tiny group of people who will likely get them.

Why not have half the GT’s only be available in $250 orders and in 10 packs? I’m a great example of what finding a GT in a $250 order 10ish years ago can create.

I’d go even a step further and ensure the GTs are spread out throughout the year between December and June. Maybe only release x number per month into various orders (potentially more up front because of pre-orders.) Alternatively, just put a limit on how many can be sent to individuals. I recall the GTs being in with the pins one year - that could easily allow for this kind of limit and more diversity of who gets them.

More diversity in who gets them definitely helps grow the game.

Fred
What do we want? Evidence based science! When do we want it? After peer review!

Elf Wizard build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=570&id=247398

Rogue build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=569&id=245490#287189

Items for Sale or Trade
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247555

Items needed to complete my collection
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=61&id=253058

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Fred K.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #2

My issue is I'm never going to buy 10 packs or a 250 order. So unless it's in a 10 pack I get from VTD it'll never happen.

I much rather do a group buy of an 8k and get all the extra stuff. If the odds of buying an 8k aren't 32x more than a 250 it's not an even dollar spent distribution.

I agree broader distribution is preferred though. I'd add a subset of maybe 20% being found in 10 packs from VTD if anything.

Specifically in our run at GHC at least 2 of us had never done a GT run before probably more than that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #3

That would devalue 8k auctions and cause other distortions in the economics of token sales. For instance, does someone who normally buys 8k just buy 32x 250's instead to gamble on GT?

It's also not any more fair. There's a lot of equating "new players" with low level UR buys. So, by new player, people really mean new to breaking into UR+ level of investment, but, ignoring the misleading terminology, there's nothing that stops anyone from buying 8k bundles or 1k or 2k. The auction runners getting more GTs justifies running them.

Then, if other people want GTs, they can buy them. If it's important to someone, offer more money, like other capitalistic markets. Just comes across as trying to punish big spenders for some reason or trying to provide charity to ... to whom? People spend slightly less? People who spend a lot less? Those who end up with more than they want can do whatever they want with them - Laz for years has given one to someone who has never done a GT run**.

** Not sure the precise limitations. My friend pulled a GT one year and he still has it. I've only ever done a GT run because I bought one from the person who pulled it. Unclear whether one or both of us would have qualified for his giveaway.

As for spreading out GTs, people are going to game the system and try to time releases. Meanwhile, TDA would certainly like money earlier rather than later so that they have capital to fund business activities from the get go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #4

Your argument is based on the false assumption that the biggest reason the buy 8 k is the chance at a golden ticket. Your entire argument is mostly incorrect. When you buy an 8 k order you are buying the tokens that come in an 8 k order. I'm sorry you think your money spent should get you even more.

The more players that we can get to fall in love with true dungeon the stronger the game gets and the more token buyers it creates. This thread is hitting at a hugely important topic and one that needs further exploring. True dungeon has long struggled with the clicks of those that get all the cool hidden extras and those that haven't. I'm sorry Ian but you're wrong, very wrong.

Oh and there already is a special run for 8 k buyers, it's called a patron run.
Proud member Dungeon Delver's Anonymous.

Team Kraken Killers

My name is Sean Hanlin, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by archmage78.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #5

archmage78 wrote: Your argument is based on the false assumption that the biggest reason the buy 8 k is the chance at a golden ticket.


It's one of my biggest reasons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #6

Kusig wrote:

archmage78 wrote: Your argument is based on the false assumption that the biggest reason the buy 8 k is the chance at a golden ticket.


It's one of my biggest reasons.


There has been a growing trend of people sponsoring 8K auctions. I can't do an 8K myself, but sponsoring one for increased chance at a GT would be the only reason I would do so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #7

From what TD says, you have an equal chance of getting a GT no matter what type of order you place. I got a Platinum GT in a 10 pack this year.
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #8

  • NightGod
  • NightGod's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • It's only push damage...how bad could it be?!
  • Posts: 1056

archmage78 wrote: Your argument is based on the false assumption that the biggest reason the buy 8 k is the chance at a golden ticket. Your entire argument is mostly incorrect. When you buy an 8 k order you are buying the tokens that come in an 8 k order. I'm sorry you think your money spent should get you even more.

How is having the same chance at $8k as you would buying 32x $250 asking for even more?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #9

Changing the odds from evenly distributed to be weighted towards smaller orders is biasing the chance and is not what is advertised.

Changing to that would create more work for TD as folks would buy the small increment multiple times to equate to $8k order and causing TD to track bonus items and possible spend much more on shipping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #10

On the plus side, there is currently very little reason to do a $250 order - it always makes sense to either team up with others to split a larger order or just participate in an auction. If GTs were biased toward 250 orders there would be an actual justification at purchasing at that level.+

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #11

archmage78 wrote: Your argument is based on the false assumption that the biggest reason the buy 8 k is the chance at a golden ticket. Your entire argument is mostly incorrect. When you buy an 8 k order you are buying the tokens that come in an 8 k order. I'm sorry you think your money spent should get you even more.

The more players that we can get to fall in love with true dungeon the stronger the game gets and the more token buyers it creates. This thread is hitting at a hugely important topic and one that needs further exploring. True dungeon has long struggled with the clicks of those that get all the cool hidden extras and those that haven't. I'm sorry Ian but you're wrong, very wrong.

Oh and there already is a special run for 8 k buyers, it's called a patron run.


To claim someone is wrong about something, should first understand what someone is saying. At no point did I say the main reason someone buys an 8k bundle is for a GT. The valuation of any purchase is affected by probability of getting a GT. The dismal science is dismal enough without trying to explain why a single person makes their personal choices in life - it's intended to explain group behavior and the value of a GT is a factor that is built into the economic behavior of the player base.

I'm not sure there's a problem with getting new players to play TD or to invest in TD, which are not the same thing, as there's a lack of data, and extrapolating from convention expansion tends to indicate the hobby is doing fine. However, the perception that the hobby is unfair may exist. I would point to adding even more benefits that only go to Patrons and 8k buyers as something that could be interpreted as rich getting richer.

The proposal doesn't increase fairness in any way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Ticket Suggestion 2 months 2 weeks ago #12

Fred K wrote: With 100 GT’s available this year, it would be cool to help spread out who wins them a bit more. Historically (at least recent history), the vast majority of GTs were found in 8K orders. Those should still have a good number of them but we rarely seem to run into newer players winning them.

With all the auctions, that is further centralizing who is getting the GTs - meaning it is a tiny group of people who will likely get them.

Why not have half the GT’s only be available in $250 orders and in 10 packs? I’m a great example of what finding a GT in a $250 order 10ish years ago can create.

I’d go even a step further and ensure the GTs are spread out throughout the year between December and June. Maybe only release x number per month into various orders (potentially more up front because of pre-orders.) Alternatively, just put a limit on how many can be sent to individuals. I recall the GTs being in with the pins one year - that could easily allow for this kind of limit and more diversity of who gets them.

More diversity in who gets them definitely helps grow the game.

Fred

Then this is not random...the GTs are random. if this would happen I would probably sell all my tokens and move on to something else
delpchad.blogspot.com/

First solo Nightmare survivor-2014 Viper pit

Allergic to Lori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds