Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #97

smakdown wrote: I buy tokens in big volumes. I usually get a GT. when I get one, I look at the sign up sheet and pick what I can (95% a barbarian). I prefer combat, but have been on many puzzle runs and have played a fighter a few times. I like to open my packs as I go. on occasion that leads to not being able to chime in until others have claimed spots.


now I am 9th level and have arguably the best barbarian build. I bring lots of other "stuff", but I still only ask and will always work with folks. after all, they were better prepared, responded faster.

with everything considered from several sides of the issue, i'm coming up with this as a non-issue. :S


It is interesting that with as many Gold Ticket runs as you've done, it sounds like your impression was also that people were claiming classes, not just stating preferences. That was my impression every time I did a Gold Ticket run as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #98

Mike Steele wrote:

smakdown wrote: I buy tokens in big volumes. I usually get a GT. when I get one, I look at the sign up sheet and pick what I can (95% a barbarian). I prefer combat, but have been on many puzzle runs and have played a fighter a few times. I like to open my packs as I go. on occasion that leads to not being able to chime in until others have claimed spots.


now I am 9th level and have arguably the best barbarian build. I bring lots of other "stuff", but I still only ask and will always work with folks. after all, they were better prepared, responded faster.

with everything considered from several sides of the issue, i'm coming up with this as a non-issue. :S


It is interesting that with as many Gold Ticket runs as you've done, it sounds like your impression was also that people were claiming classes, not just stating preferences. That was my impression every time I did a Gold Ticket run as well.


and there-in lies the problem. sure, adding the note to the 'sign-up' page that everything is a request and not final and newcomers can ask for runs/classes that are already taken will help a little...but honestly, most people still wont. most people are uncomfortable asking others to change their plans like that.

so, I have an idea/method...but it requires a neutral entity to make final decisions:
sign-ups should involve a list of your preferences, in order of importance. so, the following items will be listed with the selection that is most important to you first.
1. class preference (list a few options in preferred order)
2. combat vs puzzle
3. dungeon A vs B
4. difficulty
5. special request (ie. keep me with my spouse)

for example, I would list:
1. Nightmare or hardcore ((most important))
2. combat preferred ((next important))
3. ranger -> druid -> can use io's bow
4. dungeon [A or B, depending on which I have fewer of after ticket purchasing]

then, at some agreed time (I am thinking July 1, to allow a month after event tickets are sold but still a month before gencon), the neutral entity assigns people their run and class to 'maximize happiness'.
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #99

I wonder how many golden tickets are found after July 1.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #100

Harlax wrote: I wonder how many golden tickets are found after July 1.


I know Jeff often does notices like "only 3 more Golden Tickets left to go", and it seems like that often goes on up until close to GENCON.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #101

  • bpsymington
  • bpsymington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 10th Level
  • Supporter
  • Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer
  • Posts: 15766
Not a topic too many people can get into!
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #102

I probably have no skin in this game either, but if you build for Elf Wizard you will be safe. It seems, from the TDC build experience, that no one ever wants to play Elf Wizard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #103

  • bpsymington
  • bpsymington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 10th Level
  • Supporter
  • Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer
  • Posts: 15766
That's one reason I'm a wizard - there's not usually much competition for the role, and if there is, there can be two of us!
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #104

Donald Rients wrote: I probably have no skin in this game either, but if you build for Elf Wizard you will be safe. It seems, from the TDC build experience, that no one ever wants to play Elf Wizard.


Basically, I always pick Elf Wizard if I can because I switched to the Wizard class the same year they introduced the Elf Wizard (so I felt like I was getting in on something new at the beginning). It's been a side benefit that it tends to be less popular, so I'm not usually in contention for the class. Although, I've started to see a few more people make this their choice.

Besides, with the Staff of Power, having that extra +10 to party initiative every combat comes in real handy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #105

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #106

bpsymington wrote: That's one reason I'm a wizard - there's not usually much competition for the role, and if there is, there can be two of us!


We neither the Staff or Power of the Staff of Focus, which is our only draw back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #107

bpsymington wrote: ... and if there is, there can be two of us!


We paladins were all too aware of this. Thankfully, that's being rectified with this year's token set. :laugh:
Tobin Blake, High Paladin of the Church of Francis, Testudine Shield, Adamantine Wall

"Turtle!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proposed GT Class Lottery Approach 5 years 10 months ago #108

  • Raven
  • Raven's Avatar
  • Away
  • 10th Level
  • Supporter
  • "Oooooh, Shiny!"
  • Posts: 6616

kurtreznor wrote: so, I have an idea/method...but it requires a neutral entity to make final decisions:
sign-ups should involve a list of your preferences, in order of importance. so, the following items will be listed with the selection that is most important to you first.
1. class preference (list a few options in preferred order)
2. combat vs puzzle
3. dungeon A vs B
4. difficulty
5. special request (ie. keep me with my spouse)

(snip)

then, at some agreed time (I am thinking July 1, to allow a month after event tickets are sold but still a month before gencon), the neutral entity assigns people their run and class to 'maximize happiness'.



I like the idea. I'm a little uncomfortable with the "neutral entity" though. Partly because there is no truly "neutral" entity. Even computer programs are only as neutral as their programming, which can be designed to favour certain factors, and people who know how the code works can game the system.

I'm not saying letting people sort it out themselves online would necessarily be better - if people don't want to make waves by requesting a class switch, they probably also won't want to make waves by saying "No, I'd really prefer to be in group A over B" if A is turning out to be a group of friends sorting themselves all into the same group.

I don't think we're going to find a perfect solution. Perhaps we can find one which makes a greater number of people happy, or one which is a little more fair to players signing up later on, but there will always be people who are frustrated by whichever system is used... and sometimes something as impartial as "first come, first served" or as well understood as "that's the way we've always done it" is not so unreasonable as it sounds.*

Perhaps we can try - for this year, at least - having people list a variety of preferred classes, and having a notice on the sign-up page that nothing is set in stone. See how it works, and make adjustment as needed for future years.



* This opinion brought to you by someone who has benefitted in the past from "the way it's always been done" and is aware of their bias in that regard.
"THERE WILL NEVER BE A TOKEN EQUAL TO A GOOD BRAIN!"- Smakdown

Check out these awesome resources:
Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Android
Amorgen's Excel Character Generator
And the ever-useful Token DataBase , expertly maintained by Druegar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds