Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Grunnel's Gift

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #121

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Fiddy wrote: I probably should be letting Reap regale you all with this, since he was the first recipient. Hopefully he won't mind me stealing his thunder....

The "Gift" was a black skull, roughly goblin-sized. I think fake, not an actual skull. Well... the front part of a skull at least.

It came with a set of rules. Write your name in the book, post on the forums that you've acquired the Gift, eventually pass the Gift on to some other unsuspecting player.

What did it do? Oh... it was cursed. :P
While you were the owner of the Gift, you had to pick your class last every time you ran TD.

When I received it at the end of GHC, I figured "No problem! I often choose last anyways." But I wound up needing to pass it off quicker than I expected. I frequently run double-downs with a certain group, and I realized that in our usual Canadian standoff of "oh no, you go ahead and choose a class" I was having to be a bit more pushy than usual and becoming suspicious :laugh:

That led to me passing it on to Potter as a Christmas present. It might still be in his hands to today, except Grunnel sent a poem/puzzle/riddle to Reap in late January that led us to realize that we needed to pass it off to another 9 unsuspecting people before SkullCon (as well as do some other things). If successful in our quest, we'd destroy the curse as well as get a true gift from Grunnel.


All I'm saying is neither Gib Gub nor Francis ever sent me a cursed skull and then made me forward it to my friends.


Truth.

Tho GibGub did send Francis's 4 teenage cousins to Grunnel via delivery man at SkullCon when he didn't heed the treasure nut warning sent a few months back. Seems like this rivalry is going to go on for a while

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #122

Fiddy wrote: I probably should be letting Reap regale you all with this, since he was the first recipient. Hopefully he won't mind me stealing his thunder....

The "Gift" was a black skull, roughly goblin-sized. I think fake, not an actual skull. Well... the front part of a skull at least.

It came with a set of rules. Write your name in the book, post on the forums that you've acquired the Gift, eventually pass the Gift on to some other unsuspecting player.

What did it do? Oh... it was cursed. :P
While you were the owner of the Gift, you had to pick your class last every time you ran TD.

When I received it at the end of GHC, I figured "No problem! I often choose last anyways." But I wound up needing to pass it off quicker than I expected. I frequently run double-downs with a certain group, and I realized that in our usual Canadian standoff of "oh no, you go ahead and choose a class" I was having to be a bit more pushy than usual and becoming suspicious :laugh:

That led to me passing it on to Potter as a Christmas present. It might still be in his hands to today, except Grunnel sent a poem/puzzle/riddle to Reap in late January that led us to realize that we needed to pass it off to another 9 unsuspecting people before SkullCon (as well as do some other things). If successful in our quest, we'd destroy the curse as well as get a true gift from Grunnel.


This is awesome! Thanks for sharing, I have been intensely curious :)
dmrzzz's trade thread

Yes, my AC is lower than the Wizard's. No regrets!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #123

With “friends” like Grunnel . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #124

I did try and warn you all about the goblins curse. Though it seems he still managed to collect the heads he required to complete his dark designs.

With regards to the 4 young turtles captured in the goblins layer. They were true heroes, and while I lament their loss, I take solace knowing they did manage to delay the silver tongued goblin's plans if only for a moment.

Take heart friends our battle is far from over as are his plans. Beware his games and gird yourselves for what is yet to come!
This thread is nuts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #125

gibgub wrote: I did try and warn you all about the goblins curse. Though it seems he still managed to collect the heads he required to complete his dark designs.

With regards to the 4 young turtles captured in the goblins layer. They were true heroes, and while I lament their loss, I take solace knowing they did manage to delay the silver tongued goblin's plans if only for a moment.

Take heart friends our battle is far from over as are his plans. Beware his games and gird yourselves for what is yet to come!


Alas in delivering your followers to the Goblin I have been waylaid, however the other loyalists are still out and performing work. The battle against the evil Goblin will not be thwarted that easily.

Gibgub forever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #126

Matthew Hayward wrote:
All I'm saying is neither Gib Gub nor Francis ever sent me a cursed skull and then made me forward it to my friends.


Your loss then....lol. The 12 that received Grunnel's Gift proved their loyalty to Grunnel (except maybe 1 Beertram) and we were rewarded for having to carry the burden of the curse.

I was stopped by the TSA flying back from Denver when they took particular interest in the skull.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #127

Carrying the curse definitely got interesting on volunteer runs for vtd where i kept going the no you choose your class or hey someone choose a class for me randomly (like i did on 1 of my skull con runs) and trying to carefully point out that hey I was unable to choose. Glad that in some groups I run with they already select and expect to be the drinking dwarf that i usually am.

Definitely glad i made and printed out builds for all 12 classes as ultimately being the last holder of the curse i wasn't able to lift it till after the skull runs finished and had to be prepared.
We're all the kind of people who enjoy the game on a "meta" level. We like talking about the game year-round. We buy tokens. We enjoy crafting. We get together during the off-season if we can. We are a very skewed demographic that way. -Raven

My trade thread:
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=61&id=248097#315668 Matt's Humble Trade

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #128

jedibcg wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:
All I'm saying is neither Gib Gub nor Francis ever sent me a cursed skull and then made me forward it to my friends.


Your loss then....lol. The 12 that received Grunnel's Gift proved their loyalty to Grunnel (except maybe 1 Beertram) and we were rewarded for having to carry the burden of the curse.

I was stopped by the TSA flying back from Denver when they took particular interest in the skull.


You guys keep talking about curses like they're bad...?
I mean, yes, awful curses. Of course they're bad, and Grunnel should send curses to his enemies.
Also, #TeamFrancis !
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #129

Francis is a rock.

Only you crazy people see a turtle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #130

ponyboy wrote: Francis is a rock.

Only you crazy people see a turtle.


#FrancisROCKS
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #131

I definitely planned on taking the skull to my TD grave had it not been for the quest Grunnel put upon us. I never care what class I play and always pick last. I thought the skull curse was AMAZING.

Once I had the skull a member of my group took interest and tried guessing what it did. He at one point said something along the lines of "You have been picking your class last, but you did that normally anyway"

I will let Reap post the poem and the quest - they were pretty awesome.

At one point a bunch of us were at Genghis Con together and the skull got passed around a ton by people who actually care what class they play :-)
Cheapest Shinies available!
Find it cheaper somewhere else? Let me know and I'll beat it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grunnel's Gift 1 year 11 months ago #132

Gib Gub gave me a smoked sour beer. He said to make sure Grunnel drank it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beertram.
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds